Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Meaning of Life....

My mind is whirring right now, so might be kind of rambly. :o)

I started to type something funny, like "Before you get excited and think I have found the meaning of life...." But haven't I found the meaning of life? If I have a relationship with Jesus, I have. So why do I let other stuff get me down and wondering about life and its purpose?

This past Saturday Doug and I went to OKC to attend the funeral of the 32 year old son of a friend of mine. It was really sad. The service was nice and I know Eric had a relationship with God, but it was still sad. Sad to think about his 3 year old growing up without her daddy; sad to think of his wife losing the one she loves most; thinking about my friend losing her firstborn child. Yet even though he was so young, his life was SO full!

Afterward, I saw many friends that I used to work with in OKC. The most asked question was: "So...what do you do with yourself now that you're not working?" This is not one of my favorite questions. Although I always feel like I keep busy, I could not tell you much about what keeps me busy.

I was blessed to be able to stop working almost 3 years ago. WOW! It doesn't really seem like it's been that long! I have to say I LOVE not working! I love just being able to do whatever, whenever. I have enjoyed being in a women's Bible study, helping occasionally in the food pantry at church, helping my friends with babysitting, helping with Workshop....

So today, I had lunch with a friend. I have been thinking about what makes my life matter. What is important to me and am I doing something about it? It's popping up everywhere: in conversation, in magazines and blogs that I have been reading....and then there was that question: "so what do you do with yourself now that you're not working?"

I want my life to make a difference. I want it to make a difference in Doug's life. I want it to make a difference in B's life. I want it to make a difference in my friends and acquaintances. I want people to see a difference in me.

4 comments:

Theresa said...

you make a difference in my life. Just wanted you to know that. :)

Jeanne said...

One of the things I love about you most is that you really have no idea of how much you matter! You are completely clueless to how much Jesus people see in you which makes us see even more of Him in you! I love the passion of your desire to be invisible so that He will be more visible. We have so little time together and yet I know that if I needed a prayer and confession partner, you would be there to love me and help carry my burden without judgement, criticism, or condemnation. I agree with Theresa, you do make a difference... partly because you don't keep score of all the times you have made a difference; instead you keep pushing yourself to be more for HIM.

love you!

Terry Rush said...

When one is connected to the body, we do nothing in life but make a difference. The question can be raised, "When did Jesus not make a difference?" Whereever he didn't, we don't. Whereever he does, we do.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Terry Rush said...

Is "Whereever" a real word....or does it make any difference?